A warrant canary is an informational banner put up for public display by companies and websites to alert their users that it never received a secret warrant from the government.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
By the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF):
- What is a warrant canary?
- How might a warrant canary work in practice?
- Why would an ISP want to publish a warrant canary?
- Is it legal to publish a warrant canary?
- What’s the legal theory behind warrant canaries?
- Have courts upheld compelled speech?
- Have courts upheld compelled false speech?
- Are there any cases upholding warrant canaries?
- What should an ISP do if the warrant canary is triggered?
- How often should an ISP publish the warrant canary?
- Who has issued warrant canaries?